With a yard full of vibrant greens and colorful flowers, the last thing you want is a big brown fence getting in the way!
But you still want to enjoy your outdoor space in peace. So, go ahead and plant privacy trees.
You get the best of both worlds–fresh, green landscaping that doubles as a hideaway. And, when you choose a fast-growing tree, you can get comfy in your quiet retreat in no time.
Ready to jump right in? Below, find the trees and shrubs that will secure your space the fastest.
What plants make the best privacy screens?
Evergreens are most common, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only option!
Lots of plants make good candidates. In fact, it’s best to mix things up. That way, if one plant gets attacked by a pest or disease, it won’t affect your entire screen.
One more thing! While fast-growing trees are great at quickly giving you privacy, they’re not without their flaws. Quick-growing trees and shrubs tend to have weaker wood that is more prone to breakage and attack by insects and diseases. They also require more frequent pruning to keep them under control and help them develop a strong structure.
If you want plants that grow a bit slower but still work great for privacy fences, click here. Or if you want to stick with a fast grower, choose trees or shrubs below that will work in your hardiness zone so that they’re accustomed and prepared to thrive in your area.
Fast-Growing Privacy Shrubs (Zones 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10)
- North privet (Zones 4-8): A pyramid-shaped shrub with dark, glossy leaves that grows about three feet per year
- Forsythia (Zones 5-8): An early-blooming shrub with bright-yellow flowers that grows about two feet per year
- Glossy Abelia (Zones 6-9): A rounded shrub with white spring flowers and purple fall leaves that can grow up to two feet a year
- Nellie R. Stevens Holly (Zones 6-9): A tall evergreen shrub with vibrant green leaves that can grow up to three feet a year
- Wax myrtle (Zones 7-11): An olive-green bush that usually adds about a foot each year in height and can reach a mature height of 20 feet
Fast-Growing Privacy Trees (Zones 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11)
- Eastern white pine (Zones 3-7): A tall evergreen tree with greenish-blue needles that can increase its height by more than three feet each year
- Hybrid poplar (Zones 3-9): A shade tree with silvery-green leaves that can grow an astonishing eight feet per year
- Silver maple (Zones 3-9): A large shade tree with shimmery silver leaves and wood that grows about two feet per year
- Green giant arborvitae (Zones 5-7): A pyramid-shaped evergreen with rich green needles that adds about three feet to its height per year
- Dawn redwood (Zones 5-8): A low-maintenance shade tree that's good for large landscapes and grows more than two feet each year
- Leyland cypress (Zones 6-10): A slender evergreen tree that can grow up to four feet per year
- Areca palm (Zones 10-11): A tropical palm that grows about two feet a year and tops out around 35 feet tall
What is the fastest-growing privacy shrub?
That would be the first shrub we listed above, the north privet. This speedy shrub can grow up to three feet per year!
What are the fastest-growing trees for privacy?
Hybrid poplar tops the list. It can grow upwards of five feet per year. The Leyland cypress, green giant arborvitae, and silver maple are all close seconds because they add about two feet to their height each year.
Which evergreens grow the fastest?
Eastern white pine and green giant arborvitae are some of the fastest-growing evergreens. Each add on about 2 feet every year!