Each year we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy and his efforts toward social justice, equal rights and peace as we observe the federal holiday in his name on or around his birthday, Jan. 15.
Since 1994, Congress has also designated the Martin Luther King, Jr., federal holiday as a national day of service. What better way to begin your New Year than to give back to your community?
Perhaps you could help improve the environment by joining an outdoor service project and learning how to plant a tree. Or, consider supporting an environmental initiative within your community to improve its parks and overall quality of life.
Need more inspiration? Read the following words from Martin Luther King, Jr. and start making a difference in your community the “green” way.
Martin Luther King’s Top 5 Inspirational Quotes:
1. “We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.”
2. “From the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire, let freedom ring. From the mighty mountains of New York, let freedom ring. From the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania, let freedom ring. But not only that: Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.”
3. “I believe that what a self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up.”
4. “I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsam and jetsam in the river of life, unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him.”
5. “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
Feel inspired? Choose to give back to the environment as you join service projects in your town and you'll notice positive results within the happy, healthy community you can be proud to call home.
How did you give back to Mother Nature this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? Comment below with your stories! In the meantime, look forward to reading more about another “day of service” on our blog later this week.